The Holiday season is right around the corner and while this time of year should be filled with joy and happiness, it can also lead to unfortunate trips to the vet emergency room. Here are a few tips for keeping your pets safe during the holidays.
It is very important to properly secure your tree. Your pet(s) (especially cats) may feel the urge to climb your tree or knock it over while playing. A properly secured tree can prevent possible injury to your pet. Additionally, you should avoid adding chemicals to your tree water, and change it regularly. Stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria that can cause nausea and diarrhea. If you pet drinks water treated with chemicals you should call poison control right away.
Tinsel can be particularly attractive for cats to use a toy. If ingested, tinsel can cause in intestinal blockage, which can lead to severe vomiting, dehydration, and possibly surgery. It is best to avoid tinsel in homes with cats.
Holiday food, particularly chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol can be very dangerous for your pets. Also avoid giving your pets leftovers or bones. Your pet will go to incredible lengths to get a hold of a tasty treat. Keep them away from the table, don’t leave food unattended on the counter, and make sure to properly secure lids on garbage cans. And, of course, do not give your pet alcohol!
Holly and Mistletoe are toxic to pets. Holly can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause intestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Additionally many varieties of lily can cause kidney failure in cats. Play it safe and opt for artificial plants made from silk or plastic.
- Lit candles
- Glass or Plastic ornaments
If your pet is rambunctious or timid around guests, provide a quiet space for them to retreat. Make sure this area has fresh water and a comfortable place to lie down.
From all the staff at Walk It Like A Dog, please have a safe and happy holiday season.